collecting the troops

Hi as suggested I have opened up a thread to showcase the troops and vehicles I have been gathering together over the last six months in order to put on a demo x wing ground attack game at THE JOY OF SIX show on the 17th july in Sheffield. After chatting to Peter from Baccus 6mm I agreed to put together not one but two games for the 6mm show, the theme ....Star Wars. The scenario's were taken from the original trilogy the first would be the evacuation of Hoth , followed by a rebel attack on an imperial base on the forest moon of Endor. X-Wing rules with a few tweaks will be used to allow for the use of ground forces. I will be posting pics with details of makes and manufacturers. Hope you enjoy as much as I have.
·

Comments

• chopperboydanchopperboydan Posts: 61Member
    First up was some grav tanks for the imperial Army, much forgotten as folk always seem to focus on the smaller Stormtrooper contingent of the empires forces. Up now are some lift APC's again for the grey clad Imperial Army, each being able to deliver an 8 man squad of Army Troopers into the heart of the action. These are lovely little models from Leon Locke who used to have them at Adler Miniatures, they have now moved stateside and can still be bought from Darkest Star Games.
    DSCN3398.JPG 91.5K
    ·
  • DBDraftDBDraft Posts: 104Administrator
    I totally agree with the Imperial Army getting overshadowed, and as they do not get the screen time there is no reason not to use other models to represent their "more practical" vehicles. The Stormtroopers should be considered to be special assault troops with some specialty vehicles like AT-ATs. But artillery and air defense units would most likely be Imperial Army units.
    ·
    Here's a pic of the said troops again from the darkest star range. The beauty of 6mm scale is you can "convert" the figures with a paintbrush, these figs would make Navy Troopers, Army Troopers or Rebel Troopers depending on the paintwork. I have x16 squads of 8 , making a company of 4 platoons. Will use for the Endor base garrison.
    DSCN3154.JPG 61.5K
    ·
    Here are the figs painted up as Rebel Fleet troopers, the standard rebel uniform (if the rebels ever had a standard look!) I have grouped them into 8 man squads but the rebels didn't have the structure of the imperial army, they tended to scratch together a task force depending on what was needed.
    ·
    And here are the Hoth Rebel troopers in cold weather gear kitted out to defend Echo Base. These are converted ACW figs from Adler Miniatures and fit in perfect with the Dark Star Miniatures as they were sculpted by the same talented chap. Again I have grouped them into 8 man squads.
    DSCN3133.JPG 76.1K
    ·
    Hoth rebels on the Taun Taun mounts for recon units. The Taun taun is a CNC miniature with aa Adler troop sliced onto it.
    DSCN3135.JPG 156.4K
    ·
    Heres a couple of the anti vehicle laser batteries, Atgar 1.4 FD P-Towers, used in the defence of Echo base. Again Adler miniature crew from the ACW range alongside the airfix snap fix laser found in the increasingly hard to find Battle of Hoth set.
    DSCN3136.JPG 144.2K
    ·
    last of the rebel batteries the better armoured Golan Arms DF.9 Anti Infantry Battery, found in the Battle of Hoth set, I have managed to gain x9 of these little beauties.
    DSCN2855.JPG 134.7K
    ·
    Rebel Light l battle tanks for those assaults that need a bit of extra fire power.
    DSCN3405.JPG 126.3K
    ·
    Not to be outdone (although always outnumbered) the Rebel Armoured Personnel Carriers providing some protection for the light Rebel troopers.
    DSCN3403.JPG 98.4K
    ·
    The classic Stormtrooper shock troops of the Empire (even though in the films they can't hit a barn door at 10 yards!) I have x32 ten man squads making x2 companies. Darkest Star Minis again, and quick to paint as only two colours needed ;)
    DSCN3282.JPG 125.6K
    ·
    Closely followed with the cold weather snowtroopers of Blizzard force. Again I went for x32 squads.
    DSCN2970.JPG 134.7K
    ·
    Before moving on to other vehicles here are the Patrol Dewbacks for scouting sandtroopers on Tatooine.
    DSCN3298.JPG 191.6K
    ·
    Deamonscape miniatures provided the twin Laser towers for base defence on Endor and the Death Star.
    DSCN3199.JPG 144.8K
    ·
    Even bigger Laser Towers! this time from JR Miniatures. these can do some real damage at long range and need to be taken out as fast as possible.
    DSCN3200.JPG 156.9K
    ·
    Time for my favourite, the Imperial walkers. The ATAT is from the micro machine action fleet range. More detailed than the ones found in the airfix Battle of Hoth set and slightly larger and thus even more imposing! I have done x6 ATAT's for Endor and X6 for Hoth. I could have just made interchangeable bases but I liked painting them so much I fixed them down.
    DSCN3263.JPG 190.7K
    ·
    Damaged or tripped ATAT's can again be found in the Battle of hoth set. Brilliant if you can still get hold of these rare sets.
    DSCN3262.JPG 152.2K
    ·
    while we are on the damaged theme here is a little base I made to represent Lukes crashed snowspeeder. These lovely little models are to be found in the oh so useful battle of hoth set, and the Rebel Base snapfix set too. The little dazed Luke figure is a converted Darkest Star miniature.
    DSCN3264.JPG 181.8K
    ·
    Here are the rest of Rogue Squadron before being shot down! The snowspeeders are from both the Airfix kits already mentioned.
    DSCN3386.JPG 221.5K
    ·
    The ATAT's little brother the ATST is a micro machine (not he action fleet as these are too big) I have x12 of these based for Hoth and x12 for Endor so they can scout ahead left and right of the ATAT's.
    DSCN2853.JPG 194.5K
    ·
    I will stop ther for now, getting a bit carried away! there are many more if people want to see more? hopefully you can noe see why I was so excited to hear of this project, a chance at last to use all these little beauties :)
    DSCN3100.JPG 178.1K
    ·
  • DBDraftDBDraft Posts: 104Administrator
    OMG that last photo is amazing! That will be a fun table to play on. Everything you have done is of great quality and quantity.... the perfect combination! Really like the Tauntauns and Dewbacks as well, great conversions. Do you have any Scout troopers or Speeder bikes? Obviously you could paint up some Scout troopers but the Speeder bikes are probably a little tricky but very iconic.

I hope I speak for others and say... please sir... can we have more?
    ·
    Speeder bikes have been a real bug bear, I have not yet sourced a suitable miniature, there is a speeder bike type from irregular miniatures but it's not right. if anyone out there has found anything suitable I would be keen to know where I can get one (or a dozen!)

OK as you asked I will keep them coming! here's a shot of the Hoth board, I've made echo base with it's three blast doors and the trenches.
    DSCN3087.JPG 167.9K
    ·
    The Hex boards are from Kallistra which I have "pimped up" for both the Hoth Board and the Endor battlefield. The buildings are a mix of Deamonscape and Brigade Models. The landing platform where the ATAT's are just about to unload there stormtrooper squads is a 25mm gantry piece from Ainsty castings.
    DSCN3101.JPG 175.4K
    ·
    Not sure how the personalities will fit into game play but you can't play the Hoth evacuation or Endor game without the usual characters, after a long search I think I have finally found miniatures to represent the main contenders. First up Vader in the snow. from irregular miniatures Sci-Fi "posh pack"
    DSCN3219.JPG 88.3K
    ·
    Next up Obi Wan on Tatooine. Same as above.
    DSCN3220.JPG 72.7K
    ·
    Han Solo in cantina gear ( he wore the same thing most of the time!)this is a fig from CnC Miniatures.
    DSCN3221.JPG 80.2K
    ·
    Chewie, again found in the Irregular miniatures Posh Pack.
    DSCN3222.JPG 63.6K
    ·
    Leia in Endor gear. CnC Miniature
    DSCN3224.JPG 81.3K
    ·
    Everyones favourite Droid, R2D2, Irregular Miniatures.
    DSCN3223.JPG 73.3K
    ·