v0.1 Release of X-Wing: Ground Assault, a Fan-made expansion pack

Stadl0rStadl0r Posts: 68Administrator
Hello X-Wing Enthusiasts!

We are pleased to announce the first v0.1 release of X-Wing: Ground Assault, a fan-made expansion pack built for X-Wing: Miniatures. Our pack introduces a new set of rules, unit cards, upgrade cards and custom components to effectively bring Ground-based units into the fodder of X-Wing. Our first release focuses on the iconic Battle of Hoth with AT-AT Walkers and Rebel Troopers spread across the battlefield. We have tried to stay true to the X-Wing philosophy of "Easy to Learn, Difficult to Master" gameplay.

This is our first step as a project and in the near future you can expect to see a Mission pack focusing on various objectives set during the Battle of Hoth. Until then, here is the link! Our package contains .PDFs which you can print yourself. If interested in playing with miniatures, please see our resources to make your own (link to thread).

May the force be with you!

- Stadl0r & DBDraft

Download now! http://xwingassault.com/download

For feedback, use our online form https://goo.gl/forms/Y8T7Ge4qKYaGw4fx2

http://xwingassault.com

Co-Creator - X-Wing: Ground Assault - Twitter
·

Comments

• Dorn17Dorn17 Posts: 4Member, Tester
    Hey guys, just wondering if there is more coming? Units, upgrades, commanders....?
    ·
  • DBDraftDBDraft Posts: 94Administrator
    edited September 2016
    Yes there is more to come! We are currently looking through feedback and seeing what changes need to be made to help clarify some rules. We have the basic outline of a 5 mission Hoth Campaign set out. This will include rules for Snowspeeders, Tauntaun Riders and Probe Droids.
    We are always interested in ideas for suitable upgrades that could work for ground units. Personally I feel that although it would be nice to make use of the existing X-Wing upgrades they are not designed with ground units in mind so "ground unit only" upgrades are needed. Some ideas I have had include a "Jet Troopers" title for infantry and possibly others inspired by a certain Battlefront game.

Also what new troop types would you want to see?

·
    I would like to make a suggestion. Two books you should have and read if you are to do this right. The "Imperial Handbook", and "The Essential guide to warfare". Both are Star Wars books and provide a ton of info on what equipment, formations, battles etc.
    I would love to see a commander upgrade card that might give you re-rolls, an extra dice, or just an automatic stress removal for rally
    phase. I would also love to see Scout Troopers and Bikes. Bikes where used on both sides so a rebel version as well. I will say this I love the direction your going with this, so keep going!!!!
    ·
    I do have the Essential Guide to Warfare and it is a great reference. I agree that Commanders could be added to give support to the troops regarding rally tests or other combat advantages. I think it best to keep things simple as you have suggested rather that introduce new Command rules.

I have painted up some Scout Troopers (just repainted Rebel soldiers):
    photo 011_zpstz9zxrge.jpg

Yes Speeder Bikes are something I have been working on for both sides. They could be a hybrid type of unit: part infantry rules, part vehicle rules. For example they can operate in groups like infantry but move and perform actions more like vehicles.

Thanks.
    ·
    They look good! I purchased that set, the scales are off. Infantry are too big, Xwing is also alittle too big, the AT-ST is too small. I am looking for minis to fill the ranks. I might have to start looking for a 3D designer to make some, of course it will probably have to be a commission job. :(
    ·
    The micomachines AT-ST shown above is 4cm tall which at 1/270 scale is 10.8m. The Wookiepedia site says it should be 8.6m tall so this model is bigger but close enough and is readily available. The infantry at 10mm or even 15mm is a good scale but 6mm troops work just as good as each model represents multiple actual troops it is really for aesthetics only. The most important size is the base size as all measurements are made from this and movement is tied to it as well.
    ·
  • ThejulzThejulz Posts: 13Member, Tester
    Yup, X-wing is at 1/270 scale, except for the epic ships, not too sure what they are.

I've had a look at Wookiepedia and, to keep everything at 1/270 scale;

AT ST's should be +/- 33mm tall.
    AT AT' should be +/- 81mm tall.
    Infantry should be +/- 6 mm tall.

As previously mentioned, it doesn't really matter as everything works from the base size, but my OCD kicks in too hard if its not all perfect.
    ·
  • chopperboydanchopperboydan Posts: 60Member
    Darkest Star Miniatures is the place to go for your 6mm figures, just great like you I get twitchy if the scales look out of place
    ·
    Just got a shipment in from darkest star mini's, very happy with them.
    ·
    Some Hoth rebels from darkest star mini's
    ·
  • a_lampa_lamp Posts: 1Member, Tester
    I want this soooo badly! I'm getting the official game on Friday (along with the required expansions)! I want to try to get this so I can make the game more fun but harder.
    ·
    Are you getting the original core set or the newer "Force Awakens" set? It doesn't really matter just curious!
    The X-Wing rules are super easy to learn. Our rule additions do compliment the core rules fairly well but if you have any questions regarding anything feel free to ask..... it was getting lonely here!
    ·
    Sorry but I invoke the power to delete random stuff! :)
    ·