Posting Feedback

Stadl0rStadl0r Posts: 68Administrator
Please use this forum to discuss anything relating to the expansion pack, gameplay questions or general feedback. As a fan-made expansion it is key for us to have feedback to make sure we continue to update and improve!

Co-Creator - X-Wing: Ground Assault - Twitter
·

Comments

• AllienAllien Posts: 8Member
    Very slowly getting all the components put together as you can see in the picture attached. Just using cardboard, foam, tape, glue, and scissors for right now as I thought there might be some modifications to components during testing so I didn't want to put in too much money in this initial wave of components. I'm excited to get rolling with this but I'm still a bit lost on a couple things.

Like I said in a feedback form I sent in earlier I don't understand the platoon / team card. As I read it, the "Snowtroopers - Infantry Platoon" card shows the values for one infantry team, not the platoon as a whole. "Support Platoon" upgrade card allows one "Platoon" - which is actually one infantry team, since each "Platoon" card represents one infantry team, right? - to take one extra turret upgrade.

"Heavy Repeating Blaster" (HRB) allows one infantry team to upgrade their attack value by three. HRB uses the phrase "infantry team" while support platoon uses the phrase "Platoon". However, HRB later refers to a "platoon".

"Upgrade" isn't in the glossary of regular X-Wing or Ground Assault. I interpret it to mean that the attack power is increased by three, so a single Snowtroopers infantry team using a Heavy Repeating Blaster would have an attack of 4. If four infantry Snowtrooper teams attack as a platoon, and one of the Snowtroopers has an HRB, the platoon will be rolling 7 attack dice (4 for the single team with HRB + 1 for each team's normal attack).

If a Snowtroopers Infantry Team uses "Support Platoon", then that single infantry team can equip two HRBs. This would give a single infantry team an attack power of 7. Since up to four teams can attack as one platoon, 4 Support Platoon Snowtroopers with 2 HRBs in each team would be rolling 28 attack dice. This would cost 68 squad points to put together. The best part is, the HRB says "can only be used if PLATOON has a focus token". Since the term "infantry team" was used earlier in the card, I infer Platoon in this instance to refer to the entire platoon, not just the single infantry team with the focus token equipped. So, if just ONE infantry team within the platoon has a focus token then you can roll the 28 attack dice.

Alternatively, it means that one Platoon of four infantry teams can carry one extra HRB. But which team is carrying it? How does anyone know if that team died? If one of the teams dies, then technically I no longer have a Platoon because the Snowtroopers card says "A platoon contains four infantry teams". So does that mean I discard the extra HRB and Support Platoon?
    ·
  • DBDraftDBDraft Posts: 104Administrator
    There is a major difference between a platoon and teams by definition in the Glossary. A Platoon is a number of teams that operate together. A team is just a single base in that platoon. So any rule that mentions a platoon refers to a platoon only.

The infantry card is a platoon card that says it has 4 teams. Each team contributes 1 Attack and 1 Health to the platoon. So if there are 4 teams the Attack and Health values are 4.

The support platoon title upgrades a platoon card to allow an extra "weapon" icon. The Heavy Repeating Blaster (HRB) upgrades one team to an Attack value of 3. If it said adds this attack value then it would be different. You replace a team with the special HRB team model. When removing casualties you can choose which one is hit as the defender, unless it was the only viable target in range.

A platoon of 4 teams with a HRB upgrade will have an attack of 6 (3 for HRB, 3 for the others). The support platoon option allows 2 teams to be converted into HRB teams so this would have an attack total of 8 for the platoon of 4 teams. The requirement for a focus token is just to say that the platoon needs to have an Overwatch order to use the HRB. Th focus token is a status marker only for infantry.

A snowtrooper platoon with the support platoon title and 2 HRB upgrades would cost 17 points, have an attack of 8, heatlh 4.

Hope that helps to clarify things.
    ·
  • AllienAllien Posts: 8Member
    Actually, this answers a whole pile of questions I had about infantry cards and how platoons work, because I understood the platoon card to represent one infantry team. Thanks for explaining the above to me.

I knew the difference between a platoon and team from reading the rules, but the card text led me to believe that all the informatoin on the card relates to one infantry team. If I understand you correctly, half the information on the card relates to a platoon (the upgrade bar and point value) and the other half relates to an individual team (attack, evade, health, armor - except the rules state that only health and attack can be increased as a platoon?). Is this correct? I find this really confusing.

Can you put the attack and health value of a full platoon for the card (so, four instead of one), and then put some sort of symbol next to the attack and health values like *, ~, ^ or whatever else you might find appropriate? Then maybe a keyword on the card and remove the text explaining about teams within the platoon, and instead include a reminder card explaining that the symbol signifies that the values with the symbol next to them can change as the unit "takes damage" (Re: Loses teams), and that the values apply to each individual team. Then you'll have card space for special abilities (... opening the door for named character platoons? :smiley: )

Do the infantry team bases of a platoon have to be within a certain range of each other for the platoon or do I have the freedom to scatter them across the board? What about when initially placing them on the board? When the teams move, they can each move in a separate direction instead of the same direction, right?

Will players be expected to signify in some way which bases belong to which platoon? If I'm fielding more than one platoon, my opponent or I could get mixed up about whether a base on the field is for my rookie platoon or the veteran platoon that's chock full of upgrades. Any suggestions?

Hypothetical Scenario: I have two snowtrooper platoons on the field, Platoon A and Platoon B. Three infantry teams from A have an enemy in range, but the last one does not. However, one of the teams from Platoon B has that same enemy unit in range also. I can't use an infantry team from Platoon B in A's attack to get my four dice, right? Because despite platoons having individual bases, they form cohesive, separate units?

A unit can only attack once. How does that work here? Could each team fire at a different target, or does the platoon as a whole select a target and fire at it? Further to that, if one team is at range 1 and the rest of the platoon's teams are at range 2, what range is the platoon at?

Just like I have to signify which base is carrying an HRB, do I have to signify which is carrying the grenade? (Maybe with the number tokens from X-Wing?)

I'm guessing you can't keep the language of the HRB consistent with other secondary weapon cards because then the player might interpret it to mean that the entire platoon uses this attack value rather than an individual team (which would be lower than the combined attack power of the four individual teams firing in concert). May I suggest the phrase: "ATTACK: One infantry team USES this Attack Value instead of it's Primary Attack Value." If that's too wordy and you worry you'll lose valuable card space, I'll suggest you make a Reminder Card and explain the word "upgrade" in the glossary.

Finally, can I use ship crew on the AT-AT? I want to use Darth Vader!

Sorry I'm bombarding you with questions, but I'm eager to playtest a game and I can't until I understand the rules.
    ·
    edited August 2016
    OK here are my thoughts on these questions:

I knew the difference between a platoon and team from reading the rules, but the card text led me to believe that all the informatoin on the card relates to one infantry team. If I understand you correctly, half the information on the card relates to a platoon (the upgrade bar and point value) and the other half relates to an individual team (attack, evade, health, armor - except the rules state that only health and attack can be increased as a platoon?). Is this correct? I find this really confusing.

Yes the cost on the card is for the platoon which consists of 4 teams, likewise the upgrades available are for the platoon. The reason for the text box was hoped to reinforce the fact that infantry teams combine their attacks (and health) together and say how many teams are present. In the future there could be teams with more attacks so I think it is easiest to show what each team contributes so when teams are lost it is easier to calculate the new attack value.

Can you put the attack and health value of a full platoon for the card (so, four instead of one), and then put some sort of symbol next to the attack and health values like *, ~, ^ or whatever else you might find appropriate? Then maybe a keyword on the card and remove the text explaining about teams within the platoon, and instead include a reminder card explaining that the symbol signifies that the values with the symbol next to them can change as the unit "takes damage" (Re: Loses teams), and that the values apply to each individual team. Then you'll have card space for special abilities (... opening the door for named character platoons? :smiley: )

I think it is still pretty clear that the values are per team as this is stated on the card. As each team contributes 1 Attack and 1 Health it is very easy to tell how many dice you have for attacks for a platoon by counting the remaining teams left. I think once you have tried this a few times it will not be an issue. Rules for special units could be interesting, but possibly could be a title card as well.

Do the infantry team bases of a platoon have to be within a certain range of each other for the platoon or do I have the freedom to scatter them across the board? What about when initially placing them on the board? When the teams move, they can each move in a separate direction instead of the same direction, right?

There is no stated distance that teams of the same platoon need to be to each other so in theory you can place them with freedom. However there are a lot of benefits to keeping them together as they must use the same order and suffer suppression hits as a platoon. Having them near each other helps to combine attacks together which is a significant advantage. Teams can move independently as long as they do not violate the order they have been given. A team however does not need to move if it has an Advance order.

Will players be expected to signify in some way which bases belong to which platoon? If I'm fielding more than one platoon, my opponent or I could get mixed up about whether a base on the field is for my rookie platoon or the veteran platoon that's chock full of upgrades. Any suggestions?

I would suggest using the numbered ID tokens from the X-Wing game as identifiers for a unit, in the same way that multiple generic ships are done.

Hypothetical Scenario: I have two snowtrooper platoons on the field, Platoon A and Platoon B. Three infantry teams from A have an enemy in range, but the last one does not. However, one of the teams from Platoon B has that same enemy unit in range also. I can't use an infantry team from Platoon B in A's attack to get my four dice, right? Because despite platoons having individual bases, they form cohesive, separate units?

A unit can only attack once. How does that work here? Could each team fire at a different target, or does the platoon as a whole select a target and fire at it? Further to that, if one team is at range 1 and the rest of the platoon's teams are at range 2, what range is the platoon at?

One platoon is activated at a time and only teams belonging to that platoon can attack together. You can however shoot at different targets with different teams. If however you have multiple teams shoot at the same target then they MUST combine their attacks together in a single attack roll. Range is taken for each team, so if some are at a different range then roll these separately as within range 1 they can reroll misses.

Just like I have to signify which base is carrying an HRB, do I have to signify which is carrying the grenade? (Maybe with the number tokens from X-Wing?)

Grenades are disposable platoon upgrades so all teams are considered to have these and no team needs to be denoted as having them specifically. As long as one team is able to make a close assault then a grenade upgrade can be used and then discarded.

I'm guessing you can't keep the language of the HRB consistent with other secondary weapon cards because then the player might interpret it to mean that the entire platoon uses this attack value rather than an individual team (which would be lower than the combined attack power of the four individual teams firing in concert). May I suggest the phrase: "ATTACK: One infantry team USES this Attack Value instead of it's Primary Attack Value." If that's too wordy and you worry you'll lose valuable card space, I'll suggest you make a Reminder Card and explain the word "upgrade" in the glossary.

I can see what you mean but it does clearly say that one team is upgraded to this new attack value. This is one of the reasons why having the individual team values on the card is beneficial as you can see that the HRB "upgrades" the attack value from 1 to 3 for that team. It becomes very easy to add the number of teams to determine the attack value of the platoon. Once you have tried this a few times I think you will see what I mean.

Finally, can I use ship crew on the AT-AT? I want to use Darth Vader!

This is still something we are thinking about. There are some obvious looking crew card candidates such as Gunner, Tactician, Weapons Engineer etc... However some of these card specifically mention ships and we need to distinguish between ships and ground units. So we will probably have a set of new "vehicle only" crew cards to better fit the ground game. There is no reason there cannot be a Darth Vader "vehicle only" version....

Sorry I'm bombarding you with questions, but I'm eager to playtest a game and I can't until I understand the rules.

No worries, in fact we welcome the chance to try and answer your questions and improve the game for others that also want things clarified.
    ·
    edited August 2016
    Gee it has been a week, are there any more questions.... from anybody?
    ·