Feedback

ThejulzThejulz Posts: 13Member, Tester
Hi all,
Firstly thank you very much to the guys that took the time to put this all together. I've been searching all over the interwebs for a system to combine ground and aerial troops together in X-wing and am very glad to have stumbled across this site.
I downloaded the rules and components and persuaded a mate to give it a go last night. Although it took us about 5 hours to stumble through a game, we still thoroughly enjoyed it. The reason it took so long is mostly our fault, we decided to jump in the deep end and bypass the introductory scenarios and put together a +/- 100 pt army each (ground troops only) and may have been drinking a lot of beer.
As one would expect when trying any new game that neither player is familiar with, it was a lot of constant rule checking and clarifying.
I scribbled down some notes every time we came across something we couldn’t clarify in the rules or between ourselves. Again I will remind you that we had been drinking a lot of beer and some of these situations may obviously be answered in the rules or online already, so please “beer” with me.
Most of the notes are generally about infantry, we found the vehicles and turrets play pretty much just like ships do in a normal X-wing game.
·

Comments

• ThejulzThejulz Posts: 13Member, Tester
    So, my observations right from the beginning;
    - We took the terms “infantry unit” and “platoon” to mean the same thing.
    - When planning my list I threw in 2 platoons of “normal” skill 2 snow troopers, I fitted them with a Heavy repeating blaster upgrade each. I represented this on the board by swapping one of the snow trooper team templates provided in the download, with the heavy repeating blaster team template.
    - I figured that is all pretty straight forward however when it came to playing the game, the Heavy repeating blaster requires the platoon to have a focus before it can be used. So my first question is, If a an infantry unit has advanced, or for some reason does not have a focus, can the team represented by a Heavy repeating blaster, still fire as a “normal” team. (I.e combine attack dice with other teams for a total of 4)?
    ·
    - The next thing was setting up “obstacles” as one would with debris and asteroids in a normal X-wing game. I know it’s probably still early days and that this hasn’t been an issue yet but we threw something resembling shield generators etc on the board in the same manner one would with X-wing (Initiative goes first, range 2 from table edge, range 1 from each other etc). It didn’t really play much part in the game, but we decided that should it come to that, nothing can move through or overlap these obstacles unscathed (Except AT AT, being unstoppable (Similar to Epic ships in X-wing)) and if you did overlap it, you would treat it like a landing on an asteroid in X-wing (No action, roll for damage and no attack). Similarly the defender would get an extra evade dice if being shot at through an obstacle. We found that we could easily avoid these with the ground troop manoeuvres but it added a tactical element to the game.
    ·
    - We moved our troops across the board, well I moved the Imperials, the rebel scum just waited for me at the other end. We found movement was pretty straight forward but then started getting into range with infantry shooting/assaulting etc and really got bogged down with a few things relating to infantry. Straight off the bat infantry rules looked pretty daunting with focus= suppression hit (stress) and all focus =auto hits and evades but it became apparent that it was a necessary complication and that in the end, if you can remember to think twice when infantry is involved, you will be fine. However we still came across a few issues.

- Some examples; I advanced an infantry platoon (Probably foolishly) towards a neat line of rebel defense. One of my snow trooper teams was ahead of the other 3 and ended up being within range of the rebels attack and copped an absolute flogging. The snow trooper team in front attracted a lot of focus dice and the platoon became extremely stressed out, so much so that it was unable to rally and retreated off the board. I suppose it makes sense that the rest of the platoon just saw the amount of firepower directed at one of their teams and thought “F*&K this”, but it fealt a bit harsh that “one quarter portion” of the platoon can get it thrown off the board? Maybe I’m just a bit sour about it but it got me thinking about other situations, We started using the infantry manoeuvre template as a measure and said that all teams within a platoon must be at least the measure distance from another team of the same platoon at all times (except when forced to move by AT AT etc). We did this because, in theory, without it you could have one team on one side of the board and the other 3 on the other. The single team gets stressed to the eyeballs and causes the whole platoon to be removed, even though 3 of them weren’t even involved. So another question; is there a Zone of control for the platoon? I.e do teams in the same platoon need to be within a certain distance of the other teams to be able to relay orders, co-ordinate attacks etc?
    - Another situation we came across; Infantry who have performed the take cover order, I.e gone to ground and get a free evade. Can that evade be used to negate a focus (suppression) hit? The rules state that defense dice cannot negate suppression hits, what about free evade tokens from taking cover?
    - The rebel scum also upgraded their troopers with a repeating blaster (medium). I particularly wanted to get rid of it so I pointed my AT AT at them. Now, when I attack a platoon of infantry and all 4 are within range and I get 1 hit after all modifications, can I designate which of the infantry teams gets killed (I.e can I specifically take out the repeating blaster team) or can the opponent chose which team is removed? It makes sense that the attacker chooses which team gets removed as they are the team in their sights, but it also makes sense that the troopers using the repeating blaster are killed but it could easily be picked up by another nearby team as it’s a valuable weapon? So long story short, When a team is killed within a platoon, who decides which team is removed?
    ·
    Other than that, some page numbers and a table of contents in the rules would be my only constructive criticism, I understand that they are a working progress but my OCD plays up without it.

So in summary, pretty damn good fun with a snot load of potential. I can see a platoon of Jawa's for a scum faction with sand crawlers as vehicels. You can do so much with it once the basics are down pat. Well done all involved.
    ·
    just a pic of the board
    ·
  • DBDraftDBDraft Posts: 104Administrator
    edited February 2017
    Firstly thanks for your feedback and sorry for the delay in a reply. I will try to cover your queries as best as I can:
    Thejulz said:

So, my observations right from the beginning;
    - We took the terms “infantry unit” and “platoon” to mean the same thing.
    - When planning my list I threw in 2 platoons of “normal” skill 2 snow troopers, I fitted them with a Heavy repeating blaster upgrade each. I represented this on the board by swapping one of the snow trooper team templates provided in the download, with the heavy repeating blaster team template.
    - I figured that is all pretty straight forward however when it came to playing the game, the Heavy repeating blaster requires the platoon to have a focus before it can be used. So my first question is, If a an infantry unit has advanced, or for some reason does not have a focus, can the team represented by a Heavy repeating blaster, still fire as a “normal” team. (I.e combine attack dice with other teams for a total of 4)?

Yes, platoon and unit can mean the same thing for infantry. Replacing the regular infantry team with a Heavy repeater team is correct as well as it serves as a reminder of the capabilities of the team.

If the platoon uses an Advance order then the Heavy repeater team will be treated as a normal infantry team (Attack 1). When they perform an Overwatch order (focus token) then it is assumed that they have time to set up their heavy blaster and gain the benefit of Attack: 3.
    Thejulz said:

- We moved our troops across the board, well I moved the Imperials, the rebel scum just waited for me at the other end. We found movement was pretty straight forward but then started getting into range with infantry shooting/assaulting etc and really got bogged down with a few things relating to infantry. Straight off the bat infantry rules looked pretty daunting with focus= suppression hit (stress) and all focus =auto hits and evades but it became apparent that it was a necessary complication and that in the end, if you can remember to think twice when infantry is involved, you will be fine. However we still came across a few issues.

- Some examples; I advanced an infantry platoon (Probably foolishly) towards a neat line of rebel defense. One of my snow trooper teams was ahead of the other 3 and ended up being within range of the rebels attack and copped an absolute flogging. The snow trooper team in front attracted a lot of focus dice and the platoon became extremely stressed out, so much so that it was unable to rally and retreated off the board. I suppose it makes sense that the rest of the platoon just saw the amount of firepower directed at one of their teams and thought “F*&K this”, but it fealt a bit harsh that “one quarter portion” of the platoon can get it thrown off the board? Maybe I’m just a bit sour about it but it got me thinking about other situations, We started using the infantry manoeuvre template as a measure and said that all teams within a platoon must be at least the measure distance from another team of the same platoon at all times (except when forced to move by AT AT etc). We did this because, in theory, without it you could have one team on one side of the board and the other 3 on the other. The single team gets stressed to the eyeballs and causes the whole platoon to be removed, even though 3 of them weren’t even involved. So another question; is there a Zone of control for the platoon? I.e do teams in the same platoon need to be within a certain distance of the other teams to be able to relay orders, co-ordinate attacks etc?
    - Another situation we came across; Infantry who have performed the take cover order, I.e gone to ground and get a free evade. Can that evade be used to negate a focus (suppression) hit? The rules state that defense dice cannot negate suppression hits, what about free evade tokens from taking cover?
    - The rebel scum also upgraded their troopers with a repeating blaster (medium). I particularly wanted to get rid of it so I pointed my AT AT at them. Now, when I attack a platoon of infantry and all 4 are within range and I get 1 hit after all modifications, can I designate which of the infantry teams gets killed (I.e can I specifically take out the repeating blaster team) or can the opponent chose which team is removed? It makes sense that the attacker chooses which team gets removed as they are the team in their sights, but it also makes sense that the troopers using the repeating blaster are killed but it could easily be picked up by another nearby team as it’s a valuable weapon? So long story short, When a team is killed within a platoon, who decides which team is removed?

Infantry do add a certain level of complexity as they are a completely new type of unit. The rules try to make them play in a somewhat realistic manner as they may not do what you want them to do once they come under fire! So your example of a unit breaking is certainly possible in the chaos of a firefight. So that unit must have taken more focus (suppression hits) than remaining teams AND failed their rally attempt in the END PHASE before they broke, harsh but "c'est la guerre!"

Your suggestion of keeping teams within 1 move template is great. Although not specified in the rules it works much better to keep troops together in a group so units can be easily identified and not mixed up.

Evade results can not negate suppression hits, troops gone to ground and taking fire are just going to keep their heads down. We have thought about some ideas for trenches and other fortifications that may negate suppression as an option later on.

Regarding casualty removal the defender has priority of which team was hit from those that are in range. If a heavy weapon team was killed then other troops would try to take over as you suggest. If only one team is in range or fire arc of an attack then that team must be chosen.

It sounds like you did a good job on understanding the basics even by "jumping in the deep end" so we really appreciate your comments, thanks. Your ideas on obstacles are good too, basically using the standard X-Wing rules but having blocked fire lanes is a good way to break up terrain. Huge units may be able to shoot across these features but the target could get an extra defense die for example. As long as you and your opponent agree on a system that is fine.
    ·
  • Awing_PilotAwing_Pilot Posts: 5Member, Tester
    Played through the starter missions in the download and there are a few things we'll try differently next time. We decided the heavy blaster can't fire unless it has the focus token based on the wording. however the rebel medium one can still shoot based on what it says. we found infantry to be very slow but again, that makes a lot of sense. Probably try troop transports and shuttles next time. We also decided for our next game that we can't split up platoons into smaller teams in case half move closer to another team. The way we ruled unit coherency was as long as the troops were the same distance away as the infantry move stick, they were still in the same platoon. For the walker assault part, I flew 2 A-wings with Cluster missiles. I took a turn to get my target locks on the AT-AT and the next turn I unloaded with target locks and focus. The secondary attacks are devastating on vehicles like that and I can see how that might be one of few ways to take them down. We were confused about how vehicles and turrets use actions but as the rules explain in details how infantry uses them. We're very used to Warhammer 40k so we were looking to find the answer only to realize there isn't one. its exactly like how the ships use those things.
    ·
  • DBDraftDBDraft Posts: 104Administrator
    It is best to keep infantry of the same platoon together. The fact that a platoon is represented by up to 4 separate bases is really just there as a visual reminder of the platoon's number of attacks and health. Splitting the teams up will only cause confusion if they get mixed up with other teams from other platoons. So the "stay within 1 move distance" is a good rule of thumb. Yes, infantry are slow but with the addition of transports, both flying and ground based, should make for interesting scenarios in their own right,: ie: Protect the convoy or assault the base style of games.
    Secondary weapons can be very effective against ground targets which is exactly as intended. Armor is good against energy attacks from blasters (primary attacks) but not good vs explosive ordnance (missiles/torpedoes). This makes shields the best defense against all attack types as it is a more advanced form of defense and does not require the massive weight of armor to be effective. Ground units therefore need effective anti-air defenses, which are most likely their own aerial units.
    Vehicles and Turrets use actions just like ships as you say which makes them very straightforward to use. The rules do focus more on infantry as they really are the most different in how they use their "actions" as orders and always use focus results for attack and defense but treat as suppression hits.
    ·