Miniature Resources

Stadl0rStadl0r Posts: 68Administrator
edited August 2016 in Feedback & Gameplay
In the first release of X-Wing: Ground Assault, we will include a set of print out unit sheets for all ground units, but as you can see from our images, we highly recommend making your own miniatures.

Ground Unit Miniatures

The preferred miniatures to use for our expansion pack, are those included in the Battle of Hoth Action Scene model kit (out of print)

You can find this kit often on auctions sites such as eBay or occasionally amazon. It includes the following pieces:
- AT-AT
- Rebel Infantry
- DF.9 Turret
- FD P.Tower Turret
- Imperial Infantry
- T-47 Snowspeeder
- Tauntaun Riders

For the AT-ST's we recommend buying the Micromachines Endor set which is currently in print and can be found often at shops that sell Star Wars merchandise:

Alternatives

There are plenty of other ways you can convert minis to use with our rules. Check out these links

- Battle of Hoth 3d Printed package - http://www.shapeways.com/product/SG8BT25BE/theme-battle-of-hoth
- Black Series Titanium AT-AT - http://www.hasbro.com/en-us/product/star-wars-the-force-awakens-black-series-titanium-at-at:D28F66FE-5056-9047-F562-2AF737337939
- Imperial Assault / SW: Miniatures figures. Despite not being at the same scale, these could be used for infantry as long as you rebase to work with the rules!

Basing your Miniatures

Included in the set of rules we have a chart for the proper base sizes for units. We recommend using Art Board for the rectangle bases and circular wood bases for the rest of the units

- AT-AT: 6cm x 12cm Rectangle Base
- AT-ST: 4cm Round Base
- Rebel Infantry: 3cm Round Base
- Imperial Infantry: 3cm Round Base
- DF.9 Turret: 4cm Round Base
- FD P-Tower Turret: 3cm Round Base
- T-47 Snowspeeder: Use X-Wing Base

End Results

Here you can see my miniatures using these kits converted with bases, etc

Co-Creator - X-Wing: Ground Assault - Twitter
·

Comments

• Wh1skyWh1sky Posts: 10Member
    After a quick search on Shapeways I've found some stuff If people have a hard time finding the kit. its at a smaller scale than the model kit (the kit is 1/156 and these are 1/270th) but I think the X wing game is techincally 1/270th?

AT-AT
    http://www.shapeways.com/product/3K4JXVU8K/at-at-1-270?optionId=43769143

AT-ST
    http://www.shapeways.com/product/QULXDX5LU/at-st-1-270?optionId=43411609

A variety set:
    http://www.shapeways.com/product/SG8BT25BE/theme-battle-of-hoth?optionId=32092723&li=user-profile

Currently looking for some options for turrets and stuff, but i thought I'd let people know!

·
  • DBDraftDBDraft Posts: 99Administrator
    Mel's Miniatures are a great resource. Thanks for sharing this information.
    ·
  • Stadl0rStadl0r Posts: 68Administrator
    Thanks for sharing! I am not sure what scale they are but I actually used the black series titanium AT-AT before finding the AMT Battle of Hoth Action Kit. Which could be a nice alternative!

·
    I will try to hit up a target/walmart to see what they have in the way of Star Wars toys and let ya'll know what I find.

·
  • chopperboydanchopperboydan Posts: 60Member
    Here are a few pics of my ground forces so far, I have used the turrets and the snowspeeders fron the snapfix battle of hoth set, AT AT's are Action fleet micromachines, ATST's are micromachines, figures are 6mm sci fi range from Darkest Star Games
    DSCN3068.JPG 130.1K
    ·
    Having trouble posting pics? for loads more check out my facebook page Daniel Hodgson, cheers
    ·
    Those Darkest Star minis look very appropriate. The plastic ones in the AMT kit are nearer 10mm but it really makes no difference once they are based. Dropzone Commander is another possibility as they have a 10 mm range. Their Resistance fighters and Legionnaires could be suitable. It is very easy to make a mini look like a Snowtrooper after all!
    ·
    rogue squadron ready to form attack pattern delta!
    DSCN3387.JPG 113.1K
    ·
    Those airspeeders look great

·
    thanks heres some atmospheric landers to get those stormtroopers down on the ground
    DSCN3390.JPG 203.7K
    ·
    I have got a couple of those too. Higgins boats to the rescue!
    ·
    but if you want to drop some ATST's and a stormtrooper company fast its the sentinel shuttle every time :)
    DSCN3252.JPG 132.2K
    ·
    Those look very cool, I one of these too. Aerial transport units are something that will need to be added in the future.
    ·
    yes a must, and if you run out of barges then these will suffice to land your ATAT's! two by two
    DSCN3255.JPG 169.4K
    ·
    Fantastic pictures! Are those troop transports from the Black Series FO Transport models? I do think we will need to include these into our future releases : )

·
    I have been reading "Twilight Company" and some of these were stationed on Hoth during the invasion. They specifically mention seeing Gozanti cruisers with AT-ATs being used.... obviously we have also seen this in Rebels too.

The Titanium Black Series FO transports have ramps that open. They are pretty heavy models but can be made to sit on a standard base.
    ·
    I guess we could figure out how many troops certain transports can carry. At the scale in the game one infantry base equals approx. 10 soldiers. So four bases equals a platoon of 40 soldiers.
    FO Assault Lander (20 troops) 2 bases
    Lambda Shuttle (20 troops) 2 bases Although I think this is low for it's size.
    Sentinel Landing Craft (80 troops) 8 bases (2 platoons)
    AT-AT (40 troops) 4 bases (1 platoon)
    Imperial Troop Transport (ITT as seen in Rebels) (10 troops) 1 base
    Gozanti Cruiser (2 AT-ATs or 4 AT-DPs or 4 Fighters externally). But how many troops should it be able to take? At a guess at least a company of 160 troops or 16 bases (4 platoons) or maybe up to 240 troops or 24 bases (6 platoons). This could be instead of the externally mounted walkers. Maybe it could have a "internal" and "external" capacity.
    GR-75 Transport has a surprisingly low limit of 90 passengers as mainly a cargo hauler. So approximately 8 bases (2 platoons).
    ·
    yes I think the Gozanti Cruiser should have both internal and external capacity, a company would go well. Of course the ATAT's could be loaded too giving another 2 platoons. The sentinel Landing craft can also carry ATST's instead of infantry, read it somewhere now can't remember how many,? I think it was 6 or 12?

I have x6 ATAT's, X3 Gozanti Cruisers to carry them and x3 Sentinals for the ATST's and extra infantry, 320 in total. The rebels better be worried. I have x6 of the anti vehicle lasers and x9 of the better armed anti infantry towers......not enough to stop the imperials I fear but they should slow them down!
    DSCN2855.JPG 134.7K
    ·
    edited July 2016
    For the Sentinel there is mention of 6 AT-PTs (galactic empire data bank) being carried which are probably half the size of an AT-ST. According to another site It can carry 6 speeder bikes or 1 AT-ST deployable crate, presumably externally dropped when about to land. I think this seems more reasonable given the scale of the models.

For the Gozanti I am thinking an internal capacity of "16" which would be 16 infantry teams (4 platoons or 1 company). Using the external capacity increases the total to "24", so you could have 16 internal and 8 external for example. Therefore ships need to be converted to a "transport" value which could be equal to their Hull value. So for example a Gozanti carrying 4 TIE Fighters is carrying 12 points externally and could have another 12 points internally. If the Gozanti had 4 TIE Bombers then this equals 24 so would have no internal capacity left. An AT-AT therefore should cost 12 points each so it is able to carry a pair.
    ·
    That would all work very well. There seems to be no agreement on line as to exact loads possible, I guess that means there's a bit of leeway and its open to interpretation.
    ·
    The snapfix ATAT's from the battle of Hoth set mentioned above are perfect for loading onto the Gozanti (the action fleet micro machines are just a little too large. A couple of little magnets under the wings and a metal plate on top of the ATAT and your good to go!
    DSCN2870.JPG 154.5K
    ·
    Yes as soon as I saw that Rebel episode with the 2 AT-ATs I quickly tried this myself and was really pleased that it fit! Great idea to have it magnetized.

Now it seems the Rebel U-Wing is going to be some sort of gunship/troop transport in the upcoming Rogue One movie. Surely FFG or Micro Machines will produce one of these in the future alongside the TIE Striker.
    ·
    The U Wing dropship is just what I need for my rebel troopers when they attack the imperial base on Endor, perfect!
    ·
    I also would say the Micro Machine "Attack Shuttle" from Rebels would make a descent Commando shuttle, of course you could just use the Phantom.
    ·
  • ajmathajmath Posts: 1Member
    edited July 2016
    I'm starting to put together some 3D printable resources for the game and have a few questions.

Will there be printable cards to go over the bases that show the firing arcs or should these be part of the base itself?

Should there be nubs or other markers on the bases for manuver templates?

Should the bases be completely flat on the surface or should they have raised edges like standard ship bases? If so, what are the dimensions?
    ·
    Hi,

Firstly, welcome to the forum! At the moment we have print outs for infantry teams, weapon systems (turrets) and walkers (AT-AT and AT-ST). Of these only the walkers have a printed fire arc which is shown. All of the other units have 360 degree fire arcs. The bases are round for the infantry, turrets and AT-ST. The AT-AT's base is rectangular. We have a custom maneuver tool for the AT-AT that will be included. The other units (infantry and AT-ST) generally just have one or two different straight move templates which are just used in contact with the base so no nubs required for ground units. When we add aerial units like the T-47 we will provide a base overlay for a standard flight stand to show the fire arcs (front and rear).
    The bases I used were 1.5mm thick plywood that had been laser cut (Litko). As these are ground bases you can easily add texture to these for the infantry and walkers. Other terrain and objective elements could have a flat print out for people to use should they not have the model (ie: GR-75 transport, or a Shield Generator). So if you have plans for 3D objectives in mind that would be very cool!
    ·
  • Eric_the_UnreadyEric_the_Unready Posts: 1Member, Tester
    Has anyone looked at using SW Pocketmodels from Ground assault? There was a Hoth battle tin which had AT-AT's, AT-ST's, biker scouts, Tauntaun riders, T-47's and a shield generator. Scale might be slightly off, but mounted on the correct cards it could work. I will look when I get home tonight.
    ·

Has anyone looked at using SW Pocketmodels from Ground assault? There was a Hoth battle tin which had AT-AT's, AT-ST's, biker scouts, Tauntaun riders, T-47's and a shield generator. Scale might be slightly off, but mounted on the correct cards it could work. I will look when I get home tonight.

Have not seen these before but seems like it could be a nice alternative! Especially when using proper base size.

It's not ideal but also SW: Miniatures for infantry could work to represent a platoon.

·