Introduce Yourself!

Stadl0rStadl0r Posts: 68Administrator
Hello new members! As this new community begins to take off, we thought it would be appropriate to have a introduction thread for new members joining.

I'm Stadl0r and I am 26yrs old, currently living in Montreal, Canada. I work as a Designer / Web Developer IRL, but gaming is one of my favourite past times! In the past I started a number of community sites for the Battlefield series and indie video games, but as a true Star Wars fan, it feels great to have this project on the go : )

Co-Creator - X-Wing: Ground Assault - Twitter
·

Comments

• Wh1skyWh1sky Posts: 10Member
    edited July 2016
    Hello!

I'm Wh1sky! I am 22yrs old and living in Montana, USA. Long time fan of Strategy games (Both board based & of the video variety) and various Shooters (Battlefield 42-4). I have a strong love of scale modeling so X wing was an instant hit. I love the ability to mod and repaint the ships. I have been Running games at my work for the past few months and I'm active in the local X-wing community.

Recently I have become a little tired with the standard dogfight/deathmatch game type, and have been trying to create interesting theme based games (Bombing runs, guerrilla strikes, Air support, etc.). I am VERY excited to see this project get up and running!

·
  • Stadl0rStadl0r Posts: 68Administrator
    Nice to meet you Wh1sky and welcome to the forums! Sounds like you have a cool background and great to see another BF fan :). Would be great to see some of your repaint / mods on here!

·
  • DBDraftDBDraft Posts: 104Administrator
    I'm DBDraft..... I'm older but not wiser than the guys above me. I live in New Zealand. I have played a fairly wide range of wargames in my time. Flames of War, a 15mm WW2 game that was designed in New Zealand has given some inspiration to these rules. I also have a love of WW1 and WW2 aircraft so I really enjoy seeing Wh1sky's inspired repaints.
    FFG's X-Wing has certainly lifted the bar when it comes to creating a simple set of rules that reward good gameplay and are endlessly customizable. Hopefully we have done it justice with our additions to the game.
    ·
  • Dash_CompactorDash_Compactor Posts: 1Member
    edited July 2016
    Hey everybody I'm Dash_Compactor! I'm 29 years old and have been into Tabletop RPGs, war games and all types of other nerdy stuff for a long long time. I got into xwing a few years ago and have been hooked ever since. Currently I run custom game types at my local store for my xwing group.
    ·
  • chopperboydanchopperboydan Posts: 61Member
    Hi All, chopperboydan here having just found this site via facebook. I have only recently in the last 6 months come to x wing and have yet to game as I am first and foremost a painter of miniatures. After seeing the new star wars film it sparked off a 30 year obsession with the films and after seeing the new models instantly dug out my old micromachine action fleet at at's and airfix battle of hoth snapfix set with the view of expanding the concept to utilise ground forces. After seeing the don't hassle the hoth's post on the same subject I went to work on gathering my forces. 6 months later I am ready to put on a 6mm star wars game at the JOY OF SIX show in Sheffield on the 17th July. very much looking forward to seeing these rules take shape and would love to be involved from the start.
    ·
  • CPTNCC1701DCPTNCC1701D Posts: 2Member
    edited July 2016
    Hi All,

Thank you for this project. I'm a 59 year old retired IT Professional returning to my childhood hobby of wargaming. I'm a big fan of both X-Wing and Attack Wing and I enjoy all things related to this game. I am very interested to see how this project progresses and I hope that it is as successful as the other fan made variant - Heroes Of Aturi Cluster. Thank you.

P.S.
    What's with the funny mailing address that you quote for this website/project?
    ·
    Sorry I do not know anything about how this website is set up.... ignorance is bliss in my book! ;)
    ·
    Welcome and you must be talking about the 1234 Saber Way on Mos Eisely address! That is our corporate address and it must be noted that it is run be a group of Jawa who occasionally fry our droids internal mail database. So we apologize for any inconveniences!

·
  • showman_101showman_101 Posts: 2Member
    Allo, allo.
    I’m showman_101, 20 years of age and although I am fairly new to both X-wing and armada I have eight years experience with war hammer, four with flames of war, three with mech warrior, and I’ve been around aviation models, rcs, and video games for as long as I can remember. Also video games, to much time with those for my own damn good.

I originally heard about this project on the X-wing sub-reddit, and although it may not be the intended purpose. I got flash backs to the MechWarrior expansion battle space. Which combined battle tech’s ground forces, air forces, and space forces all in to one cohesive game campaign system. In short, Battle front 2 conquest mode. But whether it turns in to that or not, I wanted to be a part of this.

As those of you who took a second look at my age versus how long I’ve been playing may have noticed, I fell in love with miniature war gaming at a very young age and its been a big part of my life ever since. In fact this last year I took it one step further and signed up with the United States marine corp. I’m currently about to start training in my occupational field so over this next while my posting may be fairly sporadic. But I’ll always be around.
    I can’t wait to start trying out your homebrew. (I may already be dragging one of my buddies in to it.)

See you, down the sight of my rifle.
    -showman-

(Also, this seems a good a time to ask this as any. What are you looking at for the scale of the ground forces? A few select units like a skirmish game, a strike force like war hammer, a whole division like FoW. Or are you just going to let the players choose?)
    ·
    Welcome! The scale is hopefully fairly open but best described as company size for infantry. FoW is usually only a couple of infantry platoons with support platoons (artillery, HMGs and tank platoons) with air support so that is probably the best analogy. An infantry platoon (40 troopers) is represented by 4 infantry teams or squads.
    ·
  • showman_101showman_101 Posts: 2Member
    Good to know, and thanks for the quick response.
    ·
    Here's a pic of my 6mm blizzard force, the imperial snowtroopers for the assault on Hoth. x2 companies broken down into x8 platoons giving 32 10 man squads with Vader at the head
    DSCN3376.JPG 185.9K
    ·
    I think you might just have enough..... but how many Rebels do you have?
    ·
    the Hoth rebels are outnumbered as always but are putting up a good show!
    DSCN3130.JPG 205.7K
    ·
    These are going to struggle to stop an ATAT though
    DSCN3136.JPG 144.2K
    ·
    Fantastic stuff! Feel free to make a new thread of your creations as they look amazing :)

·
  • Awing_PilotAwing_Pilot Posts: 5Member, Tester
    Hey all, I'm Awing_Pilot. I'm 23 in Florida, I love X-wing and all the support it gets. I also play Warhammer40k and I'm familiar with a few other table top games. I look forwards to seeing what creative things you guys come up with for this
    ·